Friday, August 21, 2015

Fenton Friday: Fair Awards

 I finally got over to the Montgomery County Fair to be able to check on my entries. I did poorly in comparison to previous years which I blame on two factors: 1. I submitted the entries on Friday evening, when I normally wait until Saturday entry time, as judging is not until Sunday. I was so booked-up last Saturday though, that I had little choice in the matter. And 2. When I put the cut flowers in the vases, the water was HOT to the touch as the pre-filled glass vases apparently sat out in the sun all afternoon. I tried to choose the coolest of what was offered, but I still think that was a very bad decision to have made in haste. I should have insisted they be dumped out and refilled with cold water. I'm sure my entry submission wasn't the only one that evening that was harmed by that snafu. Anyone who works with cut flowers knows that hot water is the death of fresh-looking blooms.

Anyway, I did win some ribbons for my efforts. A first fora  multi-flora red rose, a second for my dried herbs, and several others for my edible entries -- carrots, tomatoes, and potatoes. I took pictures of some of my winners (see them at left).

I also learned some lessons for next year's entries, like to pre-make my own fancy labels for the fresh herb submissions. I had thought that was not allowed and the judges/entry volunteers did that.

There were a few categories that I definitely could have placed in had I entered like garlic, okra, and chard, so I've noted those as well.

Have you entered home-grown items into your local fair? How did yours do? Any winning strategies and tips to share?



About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...